Monday, October 29, 2012
Paige
Our little Pip has had lots of firsts lately. The first day of kindergarten came and went. That picture of Paige and Jeff holding hands makes me a little teary. It's one of those pictures that will always make me remember just how I felt in that moment. She looked so small standing next to her daddy. Small but confident. Ready. That's my girl. And we survived that first day. And all the others since.
This Fall was also Paige's first soccer season. They are so fun to watch. They run around the field and trip over each other and chase that ball up and down. And Paige gets mad if things don't go her way. She's got a little mean streak in her and she's not above a little elbow jab now and then. It makes me laugh. Is that wrong?
And in the midst of it all, she lost her first tooth. It had been loose for weeks. And then we went to the dentist and he told her it had to come out or he would have to pull it himself. She wasn't crazy about that idea. So she wiggled and wiggled. And while I was at work one night, she and Brooks were wrestling, Brooks sat on her face, and out came her tooth. Thank goodness for little brothers.
And last but not least, Paige had her first science fair. She did it on lung capacity. I love the little red lungs she drew on the bottom left of her poster. She did not love the science fair. When I arrived, 5 minutes after it started, she was ready to leave. It was boring. And long. And she did not like answering questions. So I guess we can check scientist off the list. After the science fair her class had a little program where the kids sang songs. She was still the loudest and the most animated. I guess we'll keep Broadway on the list. Her only complaint was that she was stuck between two boys. And one of them was Abe. He tried to kiss her at recess the first week of school. And she still hasn't forgiven him. He tells me this every week when I am doing centers. "Paige's mom," he says. "Paige isn't nice to me." I tell him I am sorry. Which I am. I promise him I will talk to that stinker of a girl and tell her to be nicer. And I do. "Be nice," I say. "I am nice," she says. "To everyone," I say, "even the boys." "I am nice to Harry," she says. "Good," I say. "But I'm still not going to marry him." I smile. I told her months ago that I decided that she should marry Harry. Because he is nice and chill. And Paige is not. They would be perfect for each other. She says that Harry is just her friend, not her husband. And I say that's ok too. And then she tells me she still will not be nice to Abe. Because he tried to kiss her. "Just don't be mean," I say. And she smiles.
And that is what our little girly has been up to. First days, first tooth fairy, arranged marriages. You know, living the dream.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Paigey could spit through the hole in her tooth! She looks so cute.
I meant to say spit through the hole in her mouth. Sorry.
Post a Comment