Saturday, January 10, 2009

Happy Birthday to me!

Last year I boycotted all things birthday, mine that is. January 10th rolled around and I would not answer the phone, I would not let anything wrapped in rainbow colors enter the house, I would not let anyone think of wishing me a happy birthday. Jeff was a bit baffled by my behavior (say that 3 times fast). Frankly, I was too. I'm not really sure what came over me, but I was determined to spend the day as cranky as possible. It worked. The day came and went and I was relieved to have it over with.
This year my birthday kind of snuck up on me. I didn't have time to dread it or wish it away, all the sudden it was just here. So, I decided to go with it. Here's the play by play: We went to Jeffrey's basketball game at 9am and I have to say I don't think I stopped laughing the entire time. Watching a bunch of 6 year olds try to play basketball is pure comedy. Breakfast at McDonald's followed and greasy sausage and eggs never tasted so good. Then we came home and my friend Melissa brought me flowers and a card, I loved it. It's so fun to have someone think of you that doesn't have to but does anyway. Then I opened a present that I got in the mail (which makes it even more fun, admit it) from my oldest and dearest friend Kim. We have been friends since the 1st grade and our birthdays are 6 days apart. I think we have probably been exchanging birthday gifts for over 25 years and it is one of my favorite birthday traditions. After all the present euphoria I was absolutely exhaustified and laid down on the couch where I promptly fell asleep for the next hour. Even Paige did not try to rouse me, thanks to a little red kitchen and a big brother that loves to play restaurant.
I woke up to the phone ringing, (where was Jeff anyway?) and after more birthday love recorded on the answering machine we all packed into the car and went to Wal-Mart. I know, your thinking that this is starting to sound more and more like a bad Hallmark movie where the PWT momma goes to McDonalds for breakfast and then heads to Wal-Mart with the family so they can pick out new slippers and her favorite candy bar. Well, if you weren't thinking that before, you are now. We actually went to buy a new pillow, but ended up buying a new pillow and a new computer. Happy birthday to me!!
Then we got home, I madly rushed around the house trying to make it appear somewhat presentable for the babysitter that was coming, hurried and put some lipgloss on, and dashed out the door before Paige woke up. Whew! Jeff and I went to Rodizio for dinner, stuffed ourselves silly, and had some great kid-free conversation. They sang to me in portuguese and gave me gooey flan while Jeff took my picture. We wandered around the mall and I tried on a pretty red silk dress. (note to reader: do not try on pretty red silk dress following dinner at Rodizio, results are not pretty) We came home to a house full of children that were overly happy to see us and some yummy marshmallow goodness my sweet friend Tami made me for my birthday! The whole fam stayed up late watching School of Rock, (Jack Black is hilarious!) and now they are all sound asleep as we speak (or as I type?). And on top of it all I had about 20 messages on facebook wishing me a happy birthday. So nice! To think I wasted all that energy last year on sheer crankiness when I could have had a perfectly happy day like this one just fall upon me. Who knew!

2 comments:

Kristie said...

Okay, I know that our friendship is a relatively new one, but can I just tell you how bad I feel for missing your birthday?? That one was totally out of my radar. I'm glad that you had such an amazing day. Not that you really needed my attention, but you have to know how much I like you! January 10th, it's in the books now baby. And man do you make 30's look good. I am fast approaching the big 3-0 myself and am considering the cranky approach. Yikes!

stacey said...

glad to hear you had a good birthday this year. you are so funny (about last year). i sent you a message on facebook!