Wednesday, January 21, 2009

"Somebody"

I love driving home from school on Wednesday night. I have an entire 30 minutes to myself that I can listen to whatever music my little heart desires. I can sing as loud as I want to and there's no one there to tell me to stop or to turn it up or can we PLEASE listen to "Love Bug" for the 400th time again today??? Don't get me wrong, I like the Jonas Brothers and Miley and the soundtrack to Camp Rock... but enough is enough. Tonight my CD of choice was a mix of Erasure and Depeche Mode my brother made me. Love it. It has the really long, heartbeat, breathy version of "Somebody" on it that automatically transports me back to 1989. There I am in my cute new outfit from the Victoria's Secret catalog (which already makes me feel a little scandalous) trying to act coy. "Somebody" is that song, the song you want that boy to ask you to dance to so you don't have to hold the wall up for what seems like an eternity, or worse, dance with the wrong boy for what definitely is an eternity. It must have been the outfit. That night that boy did ask me to dance. It was one of those perfect snapshots in time. He was charming and handsome and all my friends stared at me with envy. The song ended and I never saw him again and it didn't matter. But that song always brings it back, not the boy, but the way I felt. A little scandalous, the envy of all the girls, so very 14.

2 comments:

Lars said...

What to say? Great snapshot. Love the song. Fun,fun memory.

Kristie said...

Oh I totally know what you are talking about! Except I don't think I ever got to shop out of the Victoria's Secret catalog....you were the envy of every girl! Hope you are feeling good. I'll call you as soon as I am safe not to wake you up. Just because my kids get up way too early doesn't mean yours do.