Thursday, August 13, 2009

Baby B

I always knew that we would have another baby. I had it all planned out in my head. When it would happen, what she would look like, what we would name her. It was all scripted out rather well. But sometimes life doesn't follow a script.

It started in January. I was 12 weeks pregnant with our fourth baby and all seemed to be going well. I was even feeling good which seemed like an added bonus. Turns out, it wasn't. I had a miscarriage at the end of the month. That may not seem like a big, life-altering thing to some, but it was to me. I was devastated. This life that was growing inside of me, the heartbeat I had heard, the little babe I had grown attached to, had made plans for, was gone. Just like that, gone. I was empty. I had never felt like this before, never actually been depressed. And there I was, for weeks, completely consumed with my grief. Surprised by the magnitude of it, wondering if I would ever feel normal again. Eventually I did, just a new kind of normal.

I would have had my baby this week. That thought makes me sad. Not the consuming kind, just a little blue about what might have been. A little sad that being pregnant isn't just the happy anticipation it once was, that it is now tainted with worry and fear But I guess life is like that. We have experiences that change us, that make us a little sad and sometimes a lot happy, but they alter the way we view life. And that can be a good thing if you let it.

I am pregnant again. Today I had my big ultrasound. And we are having another BOY. I was so sure it would be a girl, that was part of the script. But apparently I have been following the wrong script. Because I knew that whatever this baby was would be exactly what we were suppose to have. I just assumed that was a girl. You'd think I would have learned my lesson by now. Another little boy is part of our script. Huh. I am excited. A boy. Another little blonde head to keep track of, to chase after, to kiss goodnight. It finally seems real, finally seems ok to be excited. A BOY!!!!!!!!

8 comments:

Erica said...

Right after Chantel had her baby I went to see her, she told me how sad she was all over again because of your lost baby. She kept thinking of how you would have had the baby this week. I'm sorry.

Congratulations on having another fabulous Blackmun boy!

Megan said...

As always, I appreciate the honesty found in this post. I am very slowly and reluctantly learning that we cannot always count on the lovely script we write for ourselves. It is hard! I'm so sorry about the baby you lost.

Congratulations on another baby boy!

Kristie said...

Hooray for baby boys! I'm sure if I ever try my luck at the baby thing again I will join you in having three boys. Then we can go crazy together. Oh wait, we already do! I am so happy for you and can't wait for January to arrive. Well hopefully
December 31st-ish. Ha. Well get your boots on cuz girl, we're goin' campin'! See you tonight!

The Holverson Family said...

A Huge Congratulations to you and your family! It's crazy how Heavenly Father's Plan for us is really the best. I was just certain we were having a little girl when we found out Kyler was a BOY! Of course, I wouldn't change his sweet little spirit! Yeah for BABIES!

Sally said...

Erin - what a tough year this has been. I'm so sorry for all your struggles and your pain.

And yet what happy news! I'm excited for another adorable Blackmun boy running around! But don't get set on a blondie - you just never know! :) Congratulations!!

.::still blinking::. said...

I am so glad things are going well this time.

Chiara said...

Congratulations!! I may be a little biased....but there is nothing better than 3 boys and 1 girl! :) I am SO very excited for you! I just got home from a 3 week vacation....now if I could get my VT in I'd consider this the best month ever!! :)

momma street said...

Erin - it was SOOOO fun to be right beside your mom when you called on the ultrasound day. We were (and are) all so excited for you! Another boy will be the best ever.

Our plans and the Lords plans.....that's a hard one for me too! Hang in there - you are doing great!!!