Thursday, August 6, 2009

Hawaii


July just slipped by with nary a post. I suppose that means we have been too busy living life to document it, and that may be a little bit true. July was rather busy. Two trips to CA, lots of time here with my mom and dad, and of course there was Hawaii. Aaaah, Hawaii. It seems like a dream now that we are home, were we ever really there??

Yes, we were. And yes, it was paradise. We spent our days in the water, driving along the coast, seeing everything we could see, holding hands, eating shaved ice... it was heavenly. It took me a couple days to get used to it, I kept looking behind me, wondering where the children were, that panicky feeling gripping my stomach momentarily until I remembered. It was just the two of us. It hasn't been the two of us for over 7 years, since Jeffrey was born. Only one night, once when Jeffrey was almost two. So, it felt a little strange at first, a little guilty. Jeff talked me out of the guilt and I have to say the trip was so, what's the word...incredible covers it.

The second day we were there we got in our suits and made our way to the ocean. Despite my completely irrational fear of sharks, we swam out from the shore floating up and down with the waves, talking, people watching... I grabbed Jeff around the neck and held on, we must have looked like a couple of teenagers, oblivious, smiling, in love. It has become my happy place, that memory. The one I turn to when I need to escape from real life for a minute, to remember a perfect moment amongst the madness . So that is my recap of July. I'll fill in the rest later, for now Hawaii seems like the perfect place to start.


1 comment:

momma street said...

Oh Erin! You lucky girl!! I hope you did enjoy and let go of the always present "Mother guilt" - you deserved the break. Hope you are doing/feeling good!!! How did your mom & dad do with the kids??