Monday, January 25, 2010

Adjusting

Babies. I love them. Especially when they are mine. I think a newborn babe is utter perfection. Especially this little one of ours. He is perhaps the best baby on earth. And the cutest. I could just sit and stare at him all day. Unfortunately that is not possible. There are 3 other children here that demand my attention. Paige has decided that she is no longer a 2 1/2 year old girl, but that she is again a baby that requires a binkie, would like to have formula for breakfast, and is suddenly quite upset that she does not have a penis like her brothers. Owen loves the baby, but also loves to grunt and growl at me every time I say no, or yes, or any word he does not want to hear. There is a lot of growling going on. Jeffrey has adjusted the best. He wants to hold the baby and burp the baby and tells me how cute Brooks is over and over again. If we could just get him to stop singing the chorus to every Christmas carol he learned at school (over and over and over again) I would have no complaints.

But really, as I sit back at the end of the day when they are all asleep, it isn't as bad as it seems when I'm in the midst of it. It's amazing the perspective that can come from an hour of peace and quiet. If Paige has penis envy, and Owen growls at me all day, and Jeffrey has a built in repeat button, oh well. I love them. And their antics are all part of the package, part of being 2, 5, and 7. And for now, I will be glad that a little baby is part of that package too.

1 comment:

Chiara said...

mmmmm - I love them too! What day next week can I leave Macks and Mar home with Bill and come over to get some snuggles from Brooks and some chatting with you in? Let me know!