Sunday, August 22, 2010

Back to school

Jeffrey started school last week. Owen will start on Tuesday. One more week and I will start as well. Jeffrey loves it. He loves his teacher and his friends and recess and lunch and music. He loves it all, that's just how he rolls. Owen will be starting kindergarten on Tuesday. My big, huge, smart boy is finally starting school. We went in for his evalution last week and he did awesome. He was a little nervous. I thought a little nervous was kind of amazing for him.The fact that he could tell me he was a little nervous instead of having a major meltdown was amazing for me. When we got there he sat down with Mrs. Collins and read all the words he was suppose to read. He knew all the sounds and numbers and even did a spelling test or two. I pretended to be busy filling out paperwork while I hung on every word he said. Mothers are crazy like that. And I have to say I was beaming a little by the end of it. He is so smart. When they finished she went to get his scores and sat down with me to discuss this boy of mine. He sat with the student teacher and counted as high as he could go, genuinely oblivious of us. She told me how great he did, explained his scores, said what an advantage it would be for him as one of the oldest in the class. I felt so validated. All the back and forth we went through last year over private kindergarten, another year of pre-school, what to do? And it all turned out ok. She said what a nice boy he was, how you could just tell. I teared up a little. She saw. Oh well. Owen can be difficult. Really difficult. But he can also be such a joy. I was thinking of this just the other day, how I feel this closeness to him that I can't even explain. The minute he was born it was there. Maybe Heavenly Father knew I would need that, to feel that instant connection so that I would still love him terribly even when he would throw approximately 8,027 tantrums by the time he was 5 years old. And now here we are. He is almost 6, almost a kindergartener, and almost able to control his emotions if he really tries.  I love him like crazy.

1 comment:

dream quilt create said...

That is really sweet Erin :) Give little Owen a hug from me.