The week is over. I love Friday nights. Knowing that the whole weekend is ahead of me, planning all that we will do, or not do, in my mind while my house is quiet with sleep. This weekend is general conference. And this is what my mind has planned. We will lounge all morning in our pj's with the tv in the background. Jeff will make us french toast with powdered sugar and cinnamon. I will find the one talk that speaks to me. It is always on Saturday. And then I will be a little disappointed that we have to leave early to get to Owen's soccer game. We will walk down to the field and sit on the sidelines and cheer. Owen will convince us of his superiority over all other 6 year old soccer players as he waits for his turn to go in. We will agree with him. He will run up and down the field and give us a thumbs up as he scores a goal. We will be proud.
We will go home and listen to conference again. We will all be a little drowsy from the sun and a heavy breakfast. I will nod off on the couch with Brooks in the crook of my arm. Paige will find a sharpie and wreak havoc while we snooze. Owen will find her and I will be woken by 2 screaming children. Just in time to round everyone up to get to Jeffrey's soccer game. We will sit on the sidelines of another field. We will cheer and yell and cheer some more. Jeffrey will come and lay between our chairs when he is out to find a spot of shade. We will warn him not to drink too much or he will get a side ache. Three minutes later Jeffrey will be at his coaches side, begging him to go back in. Paige and Owen will run on the playground. Brooks will roll in the grass. The game will end. We will come home and I will talk Jeff into painting our front bench red. He will say yes, he always does. He will paint and I will decorate our front porch with pumpkins and spider webs. It will all look lovely. I will stand in the street when it is done and admire our work. The bench will look fresh and new. We will wonder why we didn't do it sooner. The Halloween decor will make me so happy we have a porch. It will remind me of the first fall in our home. The picture we sent out of our two little boys sitting on the front steps of the big green house on Warm Canyon Lane. Two tiny little boys next to big orange pumpkins. I will get a little nostalgic. And then Jeff will remind me that he has to leave soon. He will get all spiffed up in his best suit. I will tell him how handsome he is. We will kiss as he leaves and the children will scream and moan. Eeewww! Grooosss! Stop kissing. We will kiss a little longer because of them. He will leave and I will herd everyone into the car. We will go to Target to buy formula for Brooks so we won't run out on Sunday. We always do. They will talk me into buying them popcorn and icees. And maybe something in the dollar section. We will roam through the Halloween decorations and the toy section. And then the rugs and throw pillows. As we are checking out I will remember that I forgot the formula. Again. When we finally emerge Paige will insist on buckling herself into her carseat. Fine, I will say. Halfway to Astro Burger she will hop out of her seat to grab something off the floor. I will threaten to pull over unless she buckles herself in RIGHT NOW. You don't have to say it so bratty, she will tell me. She is right. We will pull into the drive-thru, just before the priesthood rush. This is our tradition. I will debate about what to order, gyro or burger? We will come into the house with a greasy box full of onion rings and french fries and burgers and pastrami. Just as Jeff comes through the door. We will all gather round the table and dig into the greasy goodness. Jeff will tell me about the best talks as the children fight over who ate all the french fries. Jeff will pretend it was not him. We will send them off to the shower and they will emerge shiny and new, ready to slip into cool sheets and dream the night away. And I will slip out to the porch one more time, just to admire its loveliness. And that is what our Saturday will be. At least in my mind.
Saturday, October 2, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Geez.....I want YOUR Saturday! You make it sounds so....so perfect! Can I just tag along with you guys today?
If it was anything like that it sounds fabulous! Your decorations look great...as always.
Post a Comment