Saturday, January 15, 2011

Birthday Boy



 Today my baby turned one. He will not remember this day. Which may be OK. It was a day like all the others. He and Paige had to go to the child watch while I volunteered in Jeffrey's class. Then we picked Owen up and ran to Harmons to pick up balloons and a birthday cake. We came home to a messy wreck of a house. Our Christmas tree is still up. The play room is covered in gigantic coloring books and fisher price little people. The kitchen is full of dirty dishes and unopened mail. And crumbs. I hate crumbs. And all I wanted to do when we walked in that door was curl up and take a nap. Instead Brooks pooped. As in the biggest blow out of his short little life. There was poop from his armpits to his ankles. Stinky poop. It took all three of us to even get the diaper off of him. Paige held one hand, Owen held the other and I dove in with an arsenal of wipes. It's good we have wood floors. And a tub. Brooks smiled through it all. So I hosed him off, slathered him in lotion and collapsed on the couch. Luckily he collapsed with me. The boy can snuggle like nobodies business. And so we did. I woke up an hour later. He was still snoozing away. Babies are so irresistible when they sleep. It's the lips. Those tiny little lips are just so perfect. And his eyelashes. Ugh. Seriously. It seemed hard to believe that it was an entire year ago that I held him like this for the first time. I was IN LOVE.Those first 3 days I held him every minute I could. I hated when they came and took him to the nursery. I waddled down the hallway and took him back the minute they would let me. I barely slept. I didn't want to miss a single minute of him, of this time we had together, just the two of us. He was just so perfect, every little thing I had been anticipating all swaddled up in a tiny little blue bundle. And now he is not so tiny. He is one. And I love him more this day then I did a year ago. I would not have imagined that would be possible, staring into those milky newborn eyes. But it is. Now those eyes are bright blue. And they light up when he smiles. And his smile. Full of all these new baby teeth that make him even more irresistible then he was before. This cute, squishy little baby that also happens to be incredibly happy and sweet ALL the time. Happy if our house is messy. Happy at the grocery store. Happy being smothered by his brothers. Happy in the car running a million errands. Happy sitting at Chick-Fil-A for hours on end. Just happy. How did I ever get so lucky? Love, love, love this boy of mine. Happy birthday Brookser.




1 comment:

Unknown said...

He looks like such a grown up!