Sunday, May 6, 2012

February Boys


February slipped by with just one post. Which is a shame really because February is a good month around here. So before I forget it entirely, I will write about those two boys of mine that have birthdays in February. I remember a time when it was just those two boys in my life. It seems like not so long ago. Not so long ago that we lived in Provo in a tiny little apartment on the second floor with a tiny little baby. I was in grad school and teaching freshman English. Jeff had just finished his bachelors and was working at the Provo library. We were in completely over our heads. And we were happy. They were good times. And in a minute ten years have slipped by. Ten. That little baby of ours has grown up. He is not so little anymore. So here is a glimpse of what our Jeffrey is like at age ten:
J-Just really happy. He always has been. It's a big deal, this happiness. It is so nice to be around someone like him.
E-Eager. Another trait he was born with. He is so eager to do it all, to go to school or play with his friends or play soccer, or go on vacation or go to a movie, or.... Whatever it is, he can't wait to do it.
F-Freckles. This could possibly be my favorite thing about him. He has this smattering of freckles across his nose that I love. A lot.
F-Friendly. Jeffrey is a nice guy, the genuinely friendly kind. And he doesn't choose, he's just nice to everyone. It's a great trait, this friendliness.
R-Reader. This is a new thing. But so much a part of who he is right now. The boy loves to read. Percy Jackson is his fave right now. But there is always a book in his hand. Any book. I love this about him.
E-Eater. Jeffrey has a love affair with food. Wherever we go, his first question is about where we will be eating and what we will be eating and most importantly when we will be eating.
Y-The Y, as in BYU. Jeffrey is a fan, in the biggest way. Every plan he has for the future includes him playing some sport at BYU. This week it's basketball. Most weeks it's soccer. I love that he dreams big.
So, that's our boy. Not the tiny baby I rocked to sleep every night. But better. He is smart and honest and good. And I am so proud he is mine.

No comments: