Paige and I were driving home from McDonald's tonight with our super nutritious dinner of chicken nuggets and french fries. It was a McDonald's kind of day. And the kids don't mind at all. Paige likes to talk to me in the car. Non-stop. I like it. She says such funny things. Today she was telling me about kindergarten and how good she is at math and that her friend Kaci has a dog and that she is in the monkey bar club at school and that her wiggly tooth is even wigglier and... The list went on a for a few minutes. Such happy things. She ended it with, "And you didn't want me to go to kindergarten. Isn't that just silly!"
E-"I didn't want you to go because you are my best girlfriend and I knew how much I would miss you when you were gone," I said.
P-"Yes, but you still have Brooks and he can be your best boyfriend, right."
E-"Right," I agreed.
P-"Who is your other best boyfriend?"
E-"Daddy."
P-Who else?"
E-"Owen and Jeffrey."
P-"Who else?"
E-"Grandpa."
P-"And Uncle Mike, right?"
E-"Well, he was one of my best friends, but he's gone now."
P-"He might be gone, but he's still in your heart. He can never leave your heart no matter what Mom."
E-"Your right, Paigey. He's still in my heart. You're one smart kindergartner, girly."
P-"I know."
I thought about that conversation of ours. How insightful this little five year old girl can be. And it made me really glad that she is one of my best friends. And that my brother still is too. Even from far away.
It made me think of this quote I have on my bathroom mirror by Elder Ballard.
"Our family-centered perspective should make latter-day saints strive to be the best parents in the world. It should give us enormous respect for our children, who truly are our spiritual siblings, and it should cause us to devote whatever time is necessary to strengthen our families." I love that idea, that these children of mine are my spiritual siblings. Days like today I can see that, see how far ahead of me they really are, how much they understand. Lucky to have so many besties under one roof. Super lucky.
Tuesday, September 18, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Mike is still in all our hearts. Paige is a very smart kindergartner! My grandchildren are soooo cute!!
Post a Comment