Monday, February 25, 2013
Jeffrey
Today is my Jeffrey's 11th birthday. I remember 11. I felt on the verge. Not a child and not a teenager and somehow still very much grown-up. I can see this in Jeffrey. He got Lego's and a scooter for his birthday. And a cool watch and t-shirts. He was happy. And it's a reflection of who he is right now. One foot in the door of his childhood, the other stepping towards the future. It's an exciting time, full of changes and realizations and growth. I love watching it happen. Love seeing him turn into who he is going to be. He is smart and curious, full of questions and optimism. He looks at life in a way that is so hopeful, hope in a future that is wide open and full of possibility. I love that. Love hearing what he might be and where he might go and how he will get there. He is not jaded by the world, there is no cynicism in him. He is simply happy to be alive, happy to see what tomorrow will bring. It's a great thing.
I remember the day 11 years ago, when that little boy of mine was placed in my arms. It was a Sunday. I was 2 weeks overdue. We got to the hospital early so I could be induced. I was in labor all day. We sat in my hospital room and watched the winter Olympics as I suffered through contractions and 2 epidurals. The scalp lead told us that after 13 hours in labor, our baby was under too much stress, it had to happen soon. The doctor finally arrived and unwound Jeffrey from the umbilical cord that was wrapped around his little body. He was a wrinkly, skinny little thing. His head peaked into a perfect cone. In my drug induced state, I thought he looked more like Yoda than the perfect newborn I had envisioned. But he was here. And he was mine. I was smitten. In the hours that followed he morphed into that beautiful baby. The swollen eyes, the cone head, the sticky goo all disappeared. And he was perfection. The most beautiful baby I had ever seen. He still is.
And now he is 11. And I love this life we have built with him, around him. He was our first, the one that changed the life Jeff and I had into the life now have. He made us a family. Jeffrey has brought us so much happiness in the last 11 years and I can't wait to see what the next 11 bring for this boy of ours. Happy Birthday Jeffrey!!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
There's my cute little Jeffrey!! He even looks older. :o) I hope that it was a good birthday for him.
Jeffrey, you are a wonderful person. So kind and gentle with your grandparents and so full of love. We love
you!
Post a Comment