Sunday, September 7, 2008

Happy Birthday Owen



The Darth Maul lightsabre was definitely the hit of the day. Thank you Grandma and Grandpa!

September is not the ideal time to have a birthday. We have found this out over the last 4 years and unfortunately Owen's birthdays thus far have not been the greatest. His big day is on Sept. 3 and more often than not it seems to fall on Labor Day weekend which may seem like a good thing but makes it really hard to have a birthday party when all your friends are out of town. But I was determined that this year would be different. We would celebrate his actual birthday with the family and then have a big friend party later on. Well... September 3rd just happened to be a Wednesday that just happened to be my first night of school. No matter, I would make it short and we could all hang out at the Gateway in between classes and eat dinner together and celebrate. It would work, it had to. And then Paige got sick. So sick that we ended up spending Owen's birthday at Primary Children's while they tried to figure out what was wrong with her. The boys were good sports about it. Owen had opened his presents that morning before Jeff went to work so we had all celebrated a little bit and there was plenty of Star Wars happiness to go around. The Dr. told us we would have to stay the night so Jeff took the boys to Toys R Us to let Owen pick out a present from Grandpa. More Star Wars love. They came back and said goodbye to us and Owen showed his new loot off to the hospital staff before taking his grand exit as the birthday boy (he did make sure that everyone knew). Poor guy! I felt so bad saying goodbye, knowing that they would be going home to an uneaten birthday cake at 10:00pm. I called home and sang happy birthday to him on the answering machine right after they left and told him how much I loved him. And then I had all night to think. 4 years ago I was in another hospital room with another little baby and it was such a happy day. Owen's birth was so smooth and easy! And then he was there and I felt this instant connection. We even have a picture that records that precise moment. They laid him on my stomach and he arched his head up and stared at me with the most adoring look on his face. Love!!! I fell in love with this little boy immediately and it hasn't changed. He still gives me that same adoring look, the one that makes me forget all the naughtiness and remember that connection. I can hardly believe it has been 4 years since my little man was born. He is an old soul, you can tell it just by being around him, so much older than his 4 years. I love you O, happy birthday!

1 comment:

Chiara said...

Okay, so what was wrong with Paige? Is she okay?