Saturday, April 23, 2011
Broken. Hearted.
We are driving through the gorge again. The beauty of it is breathtaking. It is dusk and the clouds sit heavy in the sky, grazing the hilltops. The last light of the day reflects grey shadows across the water. The green of the trees is barely visible, fading into a sea of black sameness. In minutes it will all be dark, just the sound of raindrops against the windshield. And it seems appropriate. I am going home. Going home to bury my little brother. It is not something anyone should have to do. He is too young. Was too young. And our home is full of him. Every room, every corner, everywhere a memory. Someday those memories will be a balm to my aching. But someday is not today. And today they will remind me of my loneliness. Remind me of his face and his voice and the guilt that gnaws at my insides. If only... But it is too late for that now. Now it is time for me to be sad and angry and relieved and broken-hearted. All at the same time. Sad that my brother is gone. Sad that we will not grow old together and tell stories of our childhood and watch our children grow. Sad that his life was not full of happiness. Angry that it had to end this way, riddled with questions and confusion. Angry that I was not by his side, holding him as he took his last breath. Torn with guilt over the relief that I feel. Always wondering and worrying. Dreading the sound of the phone ringing late at night, an unknown voice on the other end. Planning what to do next. What not to do. And now that worry is gone, replaced by so many other things. Broken. Hearted.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
13 comments:
Erin I can't even imagine the pain that you are in right now. All I can say is know that prayers and thoughts are with you as is Heavenly Father. Hugs to you in this time of great need.
I am so sorry Erin.
Erin, my heart is breaking for you. You and in my prayers.
Erin, what a sad beginning to my day today. My heart is just breaking for you and for your parents. You are in my prayers...give your parents a hug for me, please. I wish I could be there.
I was walking through Seagull Book alone yesterday. Started thinking about you....knowing all too well the emotions and feelings you are experiencing....and the tears just came. I wish you didn't have to go through this right now. I wish you could have no clue what it feels like....I am so so sorry! I love you and my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. HUGS!
Charity is a word I think of when I think of you and what you shared with Michael. You are a sister that never failed him and was always there for your neices. When Stacey would tell me the things you did for Michael charity is what I thought of and I think you are a walking example of the word Erin. You are an example to so many of us how siblings should treat and love each other. I am so sorry this happened to you, Stacey and I love your family so much and even though its not easy and I don't understand try not to internalize this. You did all you could and that is all that is asked.
I love you sweet cousin! Wish I could have been there today. Know LOTS of thoughts and prayers have been said on your behalf. I am sorry, so sorry. I love you Michael!!!
So very sorry, Erin. I'm sad you and your sweet family is hurting right now. We love you!
Erin I am so, so sorry to hear this. My prayers are with you.
I've been thinking of you a ton. My heart aches for you, and I can't imagine how much yours is aching right now.
Hi Erin, I've been thinking of you alot and the pain you are going through right now. Thank you for sharing some a your feelings in this post,it conveys so eloquently the anguish and confusion you are experiencing. I am so sorry that your family has to go through this. I am so sorry for Michael. I pray for you and his children. I pray that your family may receive comfort and peace. I love you, Rebecca Petersen
We love you Erin. Lots of love coming your way...
Post a Comment