Sunday, April 3, 2011

One of the very best things

When I was a little girl we spent a week every summer in Canada with my cousins. We played in the basement and called the radio station to request our favorite songs. We put on plays and ate ice cream. We swam in the plastic pool in the backyard and walked to the corner store for penny candy. We went to the lake and got a million mosquito bites. Then we went to bed lathered in pink calamine lotion. We ate sugared cereal for breakfast and sat on the porch to keep cool at night. I loved being with my cousins. I still do.

My kids feel the same way. They love being with their cousins. Love it. This weekend was one of those times. We all met up at Brian Head. We skiied for two days. They sped down the mountain together. They rode the ski lift together. They waited for each other at the bottom or the top. And then they did it all again. And again. They laughed at each other when their skis got crossed and cheered each other on when they made it down a big run. They swam in the pool and splashed and played Marco Polo. They begged to stay up just a little later. So they could be together.

It reminded me of my childhood. Of that bond I had with my cousins. The bond I was watching my children make. It's one of the very best things. And it makes for one very good weekend.



No comments: