This was a good weekend. Maybe not even for reasons I can explain, just a good one. Here's how it went down. Friday night Jeff took Jeffrey to the BYU game. He loved every single second of it. I am not exaggerating even one little bit. Loved. Every. Second. They ate at Gandolfo's. It was the best sandwich Jeffrey had ever eaten. They had cougar tails at the game. The best doughnut EVER. He started talking when they got in the car. He didn't stop until he fell asleep an hour after they got home. Jeff never told him to stop, just reminded him that he didn't have to talk loud enough for the entire section to hear him. (How nice is he?) Jeffrey texted me the entire ride home:
"I love you mom."
"I love you too, babe."
"I know, I just really, really love you. I missed you tonight."
"I missed you too. I missed your cute freckles and your big beautiful eyes and your silly giggles."
"And I missed you because I love you. And I love you because you are beautiful and kind."
"That is daddy telling you to say that."
"No, it's me Jeffrey. Your son."
"Are you sure?"
"Yep, sure. Did I tell you we had a cougar tail? It was the best."
"Did you have kettle corn"
"Yes, and don't worry, there is lots left over for you."
"Sweet."
Jeffrey loves to text. I was smiling the whole time. Who hears all those sweet things from their nine year old son? It was a good weekend. And we heard about cougar tails over and over. And over.
Saturday we woke up late and lazy. Those are my favorite mornings. Brooks woke up and snuggled back into our bed, falling asleep next to me. We snoozed away together. Then we all woke up and rushed off to Owen's soccer game and then Jeffrey's. Paige and I sat on a blanket and colored. Brooks hung out in his red car, content with life. Owen scored and scored again. He was proud. Jeffrey's team won. He made the last goal. He was proud. We all came home and Jeff and Jeffrey went to a baptism. A little girl in his class got baptized. Jeffrey bore his testimony after the baptism. He is good like that. Jeff was proud. Then all the busy-ness was done with and we were home and lazed around a little more. Until it was time for me to go to the relief society broadcast. I got all spiffed up and went. It was so good. Were you there? Wasn't it good? So good. President Uchtdorf's talk was inspired. I watched all the women there and you could tell. It was for all of them, in just the way they needed it. It was for Janet sitting next to me and Jane in California and Shar sick at home. It was for them and it was for me. In just the way that I needed it. I loved everything he had to say. http://lds.org/study/prophets-speak-today/unto-all-the-world/president-uchtdorf-reminds-sisters-of-five-things-to-forget-not?lang=eng But I especially loved this. “The lesson here,” he said,” is that if we spend our days waiting for fabulous roses, we could miss the beauty and wonder of the tiny forget-me-nots that are all around us.” Isn't it true? Sometimes I get so caught up in the everything of my everyday life, that I forget to really look at the beauty of it. And there is so much about it that is good and beautiful. There are hard things. But I really feel like that is ok. I have had hard stuff and it is ok. Lots of people have hard things and they are some of the very best people. Janet and I sat in the car and talked about it afterwards. She has had hard things. And she is ok. Those things make the good that much sweeter. And I think that is what President Uchtdorf was saying. We all have hard things. We all beat ourselves up and feel crummy every now and then. But the hard things are not THE thing. They are just part of mortality. A necessary part. But the good things, the sweet things in life. The smoochy kisses and the sweet texts and the soccer goals and the coloring books, those are THE things. And they are different for everyone. You just have to find them. But they are there, all around you. Isn't that a happy thought? Goodness all around, just waiting to be uncovered, appreciated. I love it.
Today was a good day too. Maybe just riding off the goodness of last night. But I'll take it. I woke up in time to shower and do my hair for real. Yay. And as an added bonus I found a shirt in my closet that I haven't worn for months (years...) that I love. I tried it on and it fit so much better than it did all those months (years...) ago. It made me happy. We were late to church, but not super late. The kind of late I can feel ok about. We took the sacrament, found seats, and settled in. And then, wait for it...we all stayed there the ENTIRE time. Even Brooks. I know, right? It is the first time in as long as I can remember that we made it through an entire sacrament meeting. Brooks was up and down and all around, but he stayed inside the meeting without screaming or running away or turning into a little demon. All three of my boys sat there. Paige sat with her Paige friend. And I sat there in awe. As in awe-some. Brooks even ventured into the nursery without going into hysterics and I sat and chatted with two of my favorite girlie's while he toddled around. Progress, people. The rest of the day was just as nice. Brooks napped. The other 3 watched a movie in the basement. Jeff and I sat and talked and talked. He is my favorite listener and talk to-er. He thinks about what I say and agrees sometimes and has his own ideas other times. And then we talk some more. That is the best. And now everyone is peacefully tucked in and I am here with my thoughts and my words and it is the very best way to end this happy weekend of ours. Hope yours was swell too.
Sunday, September 25, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
I had that kind of weekend, too. Love the car talks :) Life is good.
I love your blog.
It really was a good weekend, wasn't it? And I loved having the chance to chat with you for a while on Sunday. You are so easy to talk to, and you have the sweetest little family. I hope you have an awesome week, too.
I love the way you paint life with your words...from your heart..and you touch mine. You are lovely!
Post a Comment