Today is Thanksgiving. It's one of those days that makes me sit back and think of all I have to be thankful for. And as I think of it, I've got it pretty good. Life has turned out so much sweeter than I ever imagined. And I had big expectations. Not that life is perfect, but the imperfection of it makes it real, makes it richer. I asked Owen what he was thankful for and here is his response...
Mom: "What are you thankful for?"
Owen: "I am thankful for my momma and my family."
Mom: "What else?"
Owen: "I am thankful for that I have a 'stister'. And I am thankful for my brother."
Mom: "That's very sweet, anything else?"
Owen: "I'm thankful for Jesus Christ because he died. And I am thankful for my toys."
So sweet. And it was all him. He loves his brother and "stister," sometimes that is not so readily apparent so it's good to know that he knows he loves them. And then he's thankful for Jesus. He gets it, he's 4 and he gets it. Such a good kid. (Note to self: reread this tomorrow and the next day and the next...)
So here is my response. (I'll stick to the top 5 because then it just gets to be too much and sounds like some lame testimony meeting where everyone tunes out after the first 5 seconds) I am thankful for my husband. I love him, he loves me. Simple. Profound. But it makes my life really, really good. I am thankful for my kids. I am thankful for Jeffrey because he gives me perspective when I am lacking it. He is always happy, he is always loving, he is the kind of person I want to be. I am thankful for Owen because he tells me he loves me when I need to hear it. He is smart and witty and I love that he is still my little boy in so many ways. And I love my little Paige because she is such a joy. Everything about her is just perfection, it makes me happy simply to be around her. I am thankful for my parents. I think they are really good people, I knew that when I was a child, I understand the effect it had on me as an adult. I always have felt loved and that is not a small thing. That is what I want for my children. So there's my top five. Happy Thanksgiving!
Thursday, November 27, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Erin I just read your last 4 posts. I am in tears...tears of sympathy, empathy, understanding and relating. Thanks for sharing these feelings and moments of your life.
Post a Comment