We spent Father's Day at a farewell and baby blessing for two of Jeff's cousins. I imagined it would be fairly horrible. Not the family part, but the church part. Sacrament meeting is not my finest hour. Owen and Jeffrey both want to sit by me every week and I do not want to sit by them. They are horrible. Owen pulls my hair and pokes me in the ribs and I want to rip his arm off. Jeffrey sits so close I can't barely move and talks in my ear the ENTIRE hour until I want to scream. This is just a sampling of what a normal sacrament meeting is like. I am sure the spirit is there. I am just not feeling it. Because I want to scream. It's a problem. Meanwhile, Jeff is wrestling with Brooks who is not capable or whispering EVER and wants to go out and get a drink every 2 minutes. Paige is kind of OK. Because she is usually sitting with our friend Paige C. who is single and wonderful and brings treats and crayons and gives our Paige her undivided attention. Which is why Paige is usually kind of OK. Until we are at a mission farewell and baby blessing in another ward where she actually has to sit with us. I would still choose her over the boys. But this time I was extra lucky and got Owen on one side and Paige on the other with the baby in my arms. Owen pulled my hair. And poked me in the ribs. And kicked my shoes off. Bonus. I threatened under my breath. He pouted. I gave him nasty looks. None of it worked. Then Paige got bored and started in. They all wanted to hold the baby who was sleeping peacefully in my arms. I said no. About 14 times. Again, not my finest hour.
I did hear part of the farewell. Elder Money is going to Finland. And is so excited. I remember Tanner when he was a little boy. About the age of my Owen. And now he is in the MTC about to embark on this great adventure. And he will come back a man. It made me a little nostalgic. For my own mission and for my boys who will be up on that stand before I know it. I will miss having them sit beside me in sacrament meeting. I will worry and wonder and wish I would have enjoyed it while they were there. Like they are now. Making me want to scream.
Afterwards we went over to the Money's and ate and talked for hours. We do not see Jeff's family as often as we used to. Our family's have grown and we are all busy with our own lives. But every time we get together I remember how much I like them. How much I love being around family. Lucy was passed around and loved on by all of the aunts. Granny B was there and Brooks settled in next to her. The look on his face says it all. We talked with cousins and caught up on our lives while our kids played together outside and became fast friends. It was such a great day. The best way I can imagine spending Father's Day. It reminded me what it's all about. That these boys of mine that drive me crazy will grow up too soon. That I should enjoy every minute. That I should just love being with them because they are mine. That someday we will sit back while their children play together outside and talk about the olden days when Owen pulled Grandmas hair in sacrament meeting and Jeffrey could never stop talking. When we would spend hours catching up with our aunts and cousins and snuggling our Granny. They will be good memories. Then and now. Because we are family.






No comments:
Post a Comment