Having 3 kids is hard. I don't care what people say, it's just hard. It doesn't mean that I love them any less or that I would trade where I'm at for anything, but the whole balancing act can be difficult sometimes. Paige is a good baby so that makes things easier, but just trying to make sure that everyone gets fed can be tricky some days, so making sure they get enough attention... well, that doesn't always happen. Paige mostly gets the attention she needs because she is the baby and demands it by crying or stinking the place up. Jeffrey gets attention because he pretty much talks non-stop and repeats himself over and over until someone answers him. Annoying, but effective. Owen, on the other hand has had the hardest time with the transition from 2 to 3 kids. He doesn't chatter like Jeffrey and he is not the baby anymore, but he does have his fair share of tantrums that seem to be his way of finding the attention he is lacking. And I do not deal with the tantrums well. So, Jeff and I decided that we needed to have a "date" night with the boys to get in some one on one time with them and try to mediate some of the attention hungry behavior that is driving us both crazy. So...that is the long explanation that gets to the point of why I was out with my little Owen on Weds. and what a great night we had. We met Jeff at Gateway to buy our b-ball hoop (yeah!) and he took the other kids home while Owen and I went to Ben and Jerry's for ice cream. We sat outside and watched the kids play in the fountain. He ate mint chip and asked me to take my sunglasses off so he could see my eyes while we talked. I asked him about pre-school. He was quick to say he doesn't want to go back until summer is over because he wants to stay home with Momma and I assured him he didn't have to yet, I just wanted to talk. He said his favorite friend is Paige because she always likes to come and sit by him. And he likes Ms. Holly because she is pretty. And because she is nice, but pretty first. I asked why he won't go to swimming lessons anymore and he said because he doesn't have the same teacher and he doesn't want to get water in his ears. But we bought you ear plugs, I say. Yes, I still won't go. But you picked them out and they are cool and orange. I can just wear them at the splash pool, he says. But... I try to push it and he stops me, Mom, lets not talk about this anymore. Ok, you're right, I say. So, we just talk, the two of us, hanging out, eating ice cream. On the way back to the car we stop to buy a water out of a vending machine and they are out of everything but diet Coke. Owen is thrilled, diet Coke is his favorite, just ask him. On the car ride home we play silly games in the car and he tells me how much fun he is having on our date. Me too, I say. I love you my little Owie coco. He giggles and says, I love you too my cutie momma coco. The perfect date.
Saturday, July 26, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment